Profile of the Sociopath
This website summarizes some of the common features of descriptions of the behavior of sociopaths.
- Glibness and Superficial Charm
- Manipulative and Conning
They never recognize the rights of others and see their self-serving behaviors as permissible. They appear to be charming, yet are covertly hostile and domineering, seeing their victim as merely an instrument to be used. They may dominate and humiliate their victims.
- Grandiose Sense of Self
Feels entitled to certain things as “their right.”
- Pathological Lying
Has no problem lying coolly and easily and it is almost impossible for them to be truthful on a consistent basis. Can create, and get caught up in, a complex belief about their own powers and abilities. Extremely convincing and even able to pass lie detector tests.
- Lack of Remorse, Shame or Guilt
A deep seated rage, which is split off and repressed, is at their core. Does not see others around them as people, but only as targets and opportunities. Instead of friends, they have victims and accomplices who end up as victims. The end always justifies the means and they let nothing stand in their way.
- Shallow Emotions
When they show what seems to be warmth, joy, love and compassion it is more feigned than experienced and serves an ulterior motive. Outraged by insignificant matters, yet remaining unmoved and cold by what would upset a normal person. Since they are not genuine, neither are their promises.
- Incapacity for Love
- Need for Stimulation
Living on the edge. Verbal outbursts and physical punishments are normal. Promiscuity and gambling are common.
- Callousness/Lack of Empathy
Unable to empathize with the pain of their victims, having only contempt for others’ feelings of distress and readily taking advantage of them.
- Poor Behavioral Controls/Impulsive Nature
Rage and abuse, alternating with small expressions of love and approval produce an addictive cycle for abuser and abused, as well as creating hopelessness in the victim. Believe they are all-powerful, all-knowing, entitled to every wish, no sense of personal boundaries, no concern for their impact on others.
- Early Behavior Problems/Juvenile Delinquency
Usually has a history of behavioral and academic difficulties, yet “gets by” by conning others. Problems in making and keeping friends; aberrant behaviors such as cruelty to people or animals, stealing, etc.
Not concerned about wrecking others’ lives and dreams. Oblivious or indifferent to the devastation they cause. Does not accept blame themselves, but blames others, even for acts they obviously committed.
- Promiscuous Sexual Behavior/Infidelity
Promiscuity, child sexual abuse, rape and sexual acting out of all sorts.
- Lack of Realistic Life Plan/Parasitic Lifestyle
Tends to move around a lot or makes all encompassing promises for the future, poor work ethic but exploits others effectively.
- Criminal or Entrepreneurial Versatility
Changes their image as needed to avoid prosecution. Changes life story readily.
Other Related Qualities:
- Contemptuous of those who seek to understand them
- Does not perceive that anything is wrong with them
- Only rarely in difficulty with the law, but seeks out situations where their tyrannical behavior will be tolerated, condoned, or admired
- Conventional appearance
- Goal of enslavement of their victim(s)
- Exercises despotic control over every aspect of the victim’s life
- Has an emotional need to justify their crimes and therefore needs their victim’s affirmation (respect, gratitude and love)
- Ultimate goal is the creation of a willing victim
- Incapable of real human attachment to another
- Unable to feel remorse or guilt
- Extreme narcissism and grandiose
- May state readily that their goal is to rule the world
(The above traits are based on the psychopathy checklists of H. Cleckley and R. Hare.)
NOTE: In the 1830’s this disorder was called “moral insanity.” By 1900 it was changed to “psychopathic personality.” More recently it has been termed “antisocial personality disorder” in the DSM-III and DSM-IV. Some critics have complained that, in the attempt to rely only on ‘objective’ criteria, the DSM has broadened the concept to include too many individuals. The APD category includes people who commit illegal, immoral or self-serving acts for a variety of reasons and are not necessarily psychopaths.
Antisocial personality disorder is characterized by a lack of regard for the moral or legal standards in the local culture. There is a marked inability to get along with others or abide by societal rules. Individuals with this disorder are sometimes called psychopaths or sociopaths.
Diagnostic Criteria (DSM-IV)
1. Since the age of fifteen there has been a disregard for and violation of the right’s of others, those right’s considered normal by the local culture, as indicated by at least three of the following:
A. Repeated acts that could lead to arrest.
B. Conning for pleasure or profit, repeated lying, or the use of aliases.
C. Failure to plan ahead or being impulsive.
D. Repeated assaults on others.
E. Reckless when it comes to their or others safety.
F. Poor work behavior or failure to honor financial obligations.
G. Rationalizing the pain they inflict on others.
2. At least eighteen years in age.
3. Evidence of a Conduct Disorder, with its onset before the age of fifteen.
4. Symptoms not due to another mental disorder.
Antisocial Personality Disorder Overview (Written by Derek Wood, RN, BSN, PhD Candidate)
Antisocial Personality Disorder results in what is commonly known as a Sociopath. The criteria for this disorder require an ongoing disregard for the rights of others, since the age of 15 years. Some examples of this disregard are reckless disregard for the safety of themselves or others, failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors, deceitfulness such as repeated lying or deceit for personal profit or pleasure, and lack of remorse for actions that hurt other people in any way. Additionally, they must have evidenced a Conduct Disorder before the age of 15 years, and must be at least 18 years old to receive this diagnosis.
People with this disorder appear to be charming at times, and make relationships, but to them, these are relationships in name only. They are ended whenever necessary or when it suits them, and the relationships are without depth or meaning, including marriages. They seem to have an innate ability to find the weakness in people, and are ready to use these weaknesses to their own ends through deceit, manipulation, or intimidation, and gain pleasure from doing so.
They appear to be incapable of any true emotions, from love to shame to guilt. They are quick to anger, but just as quick to let it go, without holding grudges. No matter what emotion they state they have, it has no bearing on their future actions or attitudes.
They rarely are able to have jobs that last for any length of time, as they become easily bored, instead needing constant change. They live for the moment, forgetting the past, and not planning the future, not thinking ahead what consequences their actions will have. They want immediate rewards and gratification. There currently is no form of psychotherapy that works with those with antisocial personality disorder, as those with this disorder have no desire to change themselves, which is a prerequisite. No medication is available either. The only treatment is the prevention of the disorder in the early stages, when a child first begins to show the symptoms of conduct disorder.
Evidence based on hearsay, “Mark Conlee says” False statements made at the city council meetings, in the civil court case under oath, to fellow council members and used by County Attorney Mike Short to bring criminal charges against me. Charges based on fabricated laws. How many psychopaths does it take to force someone from their property using chemicals as a weapon?
Hearsay Evidence based on Mark Conlee said
APRIL 7, 2005, PAGE 204
MONTROSE COUNCIL MEETING PAGE 2
Drainage ditch. Mark Conlee spoke with Council regarding runoff from his property into a neighbor’s yard. He says Craig Junkins dug a trench and all is well now.
Authors note. Standard procedure would be that the complainant would confirm whether an issue has been resolved. There was no excavation of a ditch in front of the Conlee property, the drainage problem was caused by the non conforming in size of the new structures and illegal change of the frontage of Conlee’s property
MONTROSE COUNCIL MEETING
Councilman Junkins said he talked to Mark Conlee and according to Mr. Conlee his lawyer told him there wasn’t a problem.
Jeff Junkins has an existing conflict of interest as he is a fellow employee of Mark and Linda Conlee. Junkins made this statement at a public meeting as if it were a fact, possibly giving the general public attending a false opinion of the law. The lawyer Conlee is speaking of is not a lawyer at all, he is misrepresenting his brother who was the Lee County Detective to be a lawyer. Conlee did not seek legal advice until later in the year.
MONTROSE COUNCIL MEETING
- He (Mark Conlee) said her fence blew over during a recent storm.
- Mark Conlee is lying about my curtain blowing over, had that of happened he would have had pictures for evidence.
- Conlee says there is a lot of traffic there.
- Mark Conlee has no view of my driveway from any spot on his property. He fails to mention there is a 4 way stop on my corner. Everyone stops at that corner from any direction, he is defaming my character to be a dope dealer to collude with his brother Lee County Detective’s defaming statements about my character. The fact that I operated a successful upholstery business does bring clients to my home, however it’s not a lot of traffic.
- Conlee stated Mark Holland told him he could put a fence on his side of the line he shares with Melody Boatner.
- By making this statement Conlee indicates Holland has responded to his complaints about me. In my complaints against Conlee Holland refused his appointed duty. Holland stated that he had no intention of addressing my concerns about the nuisance drainage caused by the illegal redevelopment.
- He says he has put weed killer on his side of the fence.
- Photo evidence proves this is a false statement made by Mark Conlee
- He states Melody Boatner has put a black curtain on an insecure structure.
- I did put a privacy curtain up, however it was not insecure. I was well within my rights to install a privacy curtain. Mr. Conlee made a habit of hollering across the yard at me telling me that he was over the setbacks and such. He would make sure my customers saw him by walking to the center of his yard and giving them a staring look of disapproval. Had Conlee not violated the law and changed the frontage of his property to be the alley he may not have had the impression that my backyard was his backyard. What he seems to believe is his backyard now is actually his side yard. Conlee has no backyard to speak of as his entire property lot is filled with oversized structures that overfill his allotted space.
- Conlee says Boatner has broken the law with her wording.
- This is another false statement made in a public forum for the purpose of giving the community an unfavorable opinion of my character. I was well within my right to post “Do not spray weed poison on my property. The sign was on my property
- Conlee says the black plastic on the lawn is a nuisance.
- There is no ordinance stating black plastic is a nuisance, the material was not black plastic it was commercial landscape fabric.
- The Conlee’s say they have never had words with her and they have done nothing wrong.
- He has had words with me such as hollering across the yard to inform me that he was over the setbacks. He along with the police chief acting as a witness advised me that he was going to violate the civil court ruling that cited my right to enjoy my property, by physically moving the landscape timbers I had placed on my side of the common boundary to divert the excessive stormwater runoff that he intentionally diverted onto my property. They have violated every law in the book regarding redeveloping a legally non conforming property. However it is the duty of the City of Montrose to oversee that the redevelopment is compliant to State law. The false statements he made to the public defaming my character were enough to give an unfavorable opinion of the general public, I was unable to wear clothes and was unable to function enough to publicly challenge him on his false statements. Not that I have the duty to hold him accountable to the law, that is the duty of law enforcement and the city.
- They were attacked with the writing on the curtain and are emotionally upset.
This is not even debatable, I had every right to post “do not spray” and to install a privacy curtain, At the time there was no city fence ordinance. I was physically and emotional destroyed by the intentional terrorist acts committed against me by Mark Conlee and his conspirators of local government authorities. My right to equal protection of the law was violated by the criminal offenses committed by Conlee and the other officials who acted on his behalf. Conspiracy against rights and Deprivation of rights under color of law. Both of which are violations of Federal law.
Mark Conlee made a false police report stating that he heard gunshots come from my property, this was actually to know if I actually had any guns because that is the day he and Police chief Shipman violated the civil court order and I told him I would invoke my 2nd amendment right.
There are so many lies that I have documented that Mark Conlee make it is ridiculous that nobody even considers questioning anything he says. I am the credible one here, not one of you can find one false statement I have ever made. Lee County Detective Bob Conlee is a liar, his brother Mark has him beat by a long shot. To think these local officials are so stupid to believe anything he says only insults their own intelligence to be less that a turtle. I know for a fact that Mayor Ron Dinwiddie is not a stupid person, he had personal financial gain to be made when he sold this otherwise worthless lot to Mark Conlee for $27,000. Here is my statement to Mayor Ron Dinwiddie, fuck you RD!